About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Patricia Pate. I live in small town Alabama with my husband, oldest daughter, 3 dogs, and 3 cats. I'm passionate about God, my family, reading, crocheting, my health, and life in general. I will be blogging about my life, and anything that comes to mind really. I will also be blogging book reviews. I get some Advanced Reader Copies to review from NetGally, and publisher lists, and I also join book launch teams to help spread the word about upcoming books. Some books aren't released to the public yet, and some have been released. I hope you enjoy my blog, I promise you it will make you think, make you cry, make you laugh, and probably make you think I am completely crazy.

Followers

Friday, June 1, 2018

Tracheostomy: The Surgery and the Hospital Stay

   When I was told that the tracheostomy surgery, and living with a trach, would be tough, I thought that I understood that. I didn't! I filled my hospital suitcase full of yarn to crochet with, and notebooks to journal in. I thought that the 5 - 7 days in the hospital would be fairly easy, and I didn't realize how tough it would be not to be able to talk.

   On Tuesday, April 17, 2018, I went in to the hospital to have a tracheostomy surgery. The surgery went well, and I woke up felling pretty good. I spent that night in the surgery ICU, and the next day I was transferred to a regular room. The first few days were fairly uneventful. They consisted of trach care, sleeping, and eating. A few nights into my stay I ended up with a mucus plug. A mucus plug is where the mucus, that the respiratory system is producing, gets dried up and blocks the airway. My nurses were great and took care of it right away. I was able to get up, with Ben's help, and use the bathroom. I mostly slept, I could only stay awake a little bit at a time. On Wednesday, I started getting visitors from DME (Durable medical equipment) and Home health, to set up everything that I would need when I got home. Somehow, communication got crossed, and I was told I would probably get to go home on Friday. I was overjoyed. I hate being in the hospital, and I couldn't wait to go home. Well Friday came, and when Dr. Black finally came in to see me, around super time, I was told I wouldn't get to go home until at least Monday. He said that he wanted to be cautious and not send me home too soon. I was extremely upset. I cried so much that Ben started crying with me. (I'm sure he will deny this) At this point, the hospitality lady came in with my supper. I guess she noticed that I was upset, and stopped to tell me that everything would be ok. I will always remember her as my food fairy.
 
   As I look back, I can see how God sent me little reminders of His love each day. Whether it was a kind word from a stranger, a friend making sure the nurses were taking good care of me, friends visiting and bringing sweet little gifts, or a bouquet of flowers from the ENT Associates Gardendale staff, I knew that God was looking out for me, and that He loved me. I look back at all the help we received from sweet friends, and realize how blessed we are. They helped so much in our time of need, and especially when things got bad, and I thought I couldn't take anymore. One shining light in this time was my amazing husband. He stayed by my side almost the entire time. There were times that he refused to leave to get him some food, because he was afraid that he would miss the dr coming in to speak with us. He slept in uncomfortable chairs, and assisted the nurse when she needed it. He was exhausted, but refused to go home to get some rest. Since I couldn't speak, we had to get creative when it came to me communicating with him at night. He gave me a box of tissue, the small kind you get in a hotel or hospital, and told me to throw it at him if I needed him that night. I can't remember why I needed him one night, but he was so exhausted, that when I threw the box of tissues at him, he slept right through it. This happened twice that night.

   *Warning, this is where things get a little graphic*
Things were going good, it was Sunday and I was getting ready to go home the next day. We had some family come visit. During their visit I started coughing really bad. They stepped out so Ben could suction my trach out, he had gotten really good at being my nurse and we didn't really need to call the nurse for anything anymore. They came back in and we visited some more, but I started coughing bad again. They decide it was time to go so that I could get some rest. I had been assigned an awesome nurse that day. She was so sweet and caring and knew what she was doing. A little whule after our visitors left, I started coughing bad again. I felt something warm on my neck, but didn't think much of it. Ben looked at me and said I was bleeding. Turns out there was a lot of blood coming from under my trach. Ben hit the nurse call button, then decided to just go out in the hall and get somebody because we needed somebody NOW. While he was grabbing the nurse, I was trying my best to soak up the blood. I emptied one of those small tissue boxes and still it was running. Ben comes back with my nurse, she takes one look and grabs a big towl and starts helping to soak up the blood. She ends up calling the Rapid Response nurses because it was an active bleed. She had one nurse call Dr. Black to see what he wanted them to do. All this time she is mopping up blood and holding pressure to get the bleeding to stop. Dr. Black had said to call the ENT Associates on call dr, but by the time he got there the bleeding had stopped. He decided to pack under my trach with some surgical gauze. He used tweezers, and let me tell you that hurt like crazy! I was about ready to reach up and strangle him. Anyways, he said that should hold it. but if I started bleeding again to call him.

   That took a lot out of me, so I was not quite asleep, not quite awake, when my supper was brought in. I started feeling like something was coming up my throat at that point, and couldn't stomach the nasty pureed mush they called food, so I didn't eat. It turned out to be a good thing, because I started bleeding again. This time it was coming out from under my trach, and also up my throat and I was coughing up gobs of blood. My nurse called the on call dr again, and gave me a towel to spit the blood in. I ended up soaking that towel and needing another one by the time they wheeled me into surgery to fix the bleed. Turns out that a spot near my thyroid had started the bleeding when my coughing irritated it.

   I woke up the next morning back in surigical ICU. They had sedated me so that I wouldn't irritate the area further. Turns out that sedation makes me hallucinate. I thought I heard a male monster beside me talking to me at one point before I was fully awake. I think it was just the nurse call box though. When I was finally fully awake, the nurse came in and tried to get me to use a bedpan. I know this might be a little TMI, but I just cannot use a bed pan. I finally convinced her to let me use the pull out toilet they have in ICU rooms. I slept a lot that day and the next day Dr. Black came in, said I was doing great, and I finally got to go home.

   I have learned a lot from this experience. 1.) Listen to the doctors and when they say you need more time in the hospital don't be a stubborn cuss, 2.) God's timing is perfect. He knew I would have been up the creek without a paddle if I would have went home on Friday and had the bad bleeding while at home. 3.) God loves me and knows what is best for me, even when I don't like it. Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I was going to add the weeks after I came home in this post, but have since decided that would make it too long. I will try to get that story out by the end of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment