About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Patricia Pate. I live in small town Alabama with my husband, oldest daughter, 3 dogs, and 3 cats. I'm passionate about God, my family, reading, crocheting, my health, and life in general. I will be blogging about my life, and anything that comes to mind really. I will also be blogging book reviews. I get some Advanced Reader Copies to review from NetGally, and publisher lists, and I also join book launch teams to help spread the word about upcoming books. Some books aren't released to the public yet, and some have been released. I hope you enjoy my blog, I promise you it will make you think, make you cry, make you laugh, and probably make you think I am completely crazy.

Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2026

My Thoughts on Genesis 25-27

 In 2026 I’m reading through the Bible with Daily Grace Co. I decided to start early because that will give a little wiggle room, I know there will be days that I will miss. This morning I read Genesis 25-27, and decided to share my thoughts. Isaac and Rebekah were both schemers and deceivers. They also played favorites with their children. Instead of trusting God’s way, and His will, they took matters into their own hands, and schemed, and deceived to get what they wanted. The worst part about it was that they taught their children to do the same things. The Lord God wasn’t the God of Esau and Jacob. You can see this in several different passages. In Genesis 26:34 we see that Esau took multiple wives, and they were foreign wives as well. In Genesis 25:29-33 Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of lentil stew, and some bread, and then he despised his birthright. 

  In Genesis 27:20 Jacob calls God, “your God”, when talking to Isaac. Jacob did not lay claim to God as his. In Genesis 25:29-33 Jacob tricked Esau into giving up his birthright, and then in Genesis 27:5-29, Jacob tricked Isaac into giving him Esau’s blessing. Jacob definitely lived up to his name. The name Jacob means “heel grabber” which was an idom for “deceiver”. 

  All of this caused Esau to hate Jacob, and Esau planned to kill Jacob as soon as the time of mourning for Isaac, after his death, was over. Jacob ended up having to flee for his life. 

   These chapters of Genesis really made me think about a few things. What are we teaching our children by our actions? Do we say one thing, and then do something completely different? Do we trust God fully, or do we take matters into our own hands, scheming and deceiving, to get what we want? Do we compare our children and/or play favorites, essentially turning them against each other, and possibly against God as well? I know I have been guilty of all of these in the past. I can’t change the past, but I can learn from it, and allow God to change me. I can also pray that God will heal the wounds that I have caused with my scheming and deceiving, and heal any wounds caused between others also. Please share any thoughts you have from these chapters in Genesis. I look forward to hearing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment