About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Patricia Pate. I live in small town Alabama with my husband, oldest daughter, 3 dogs, and 3 cats. I'm passionate about God, my family, reading, crocheting, my health, and life in general. I will be blogging about my life, and anything that comes to mind really. I will also be blogging book reviews. I get some Advanced Reader Copies to review from NetGally, and publisher lists, and I also join book launch teams to help spread the word about upcoming books. Some books aren't released to the public yet, and some have been released. I hope you enjoy my blog, I promise you it will make you think, make you cry, make you laugh, and probably make you think I am completely crazy.

Followers

Monday, November 3, 2025

How to Survive and Even Thrive During the Holidays

    This past week, well week and a half really, has been crazy busy! This time of year is usually very busy, for the majority of us. I sat down at my therapist’s office, last week, and immediately started telling her that I needed help coping with the busy. I’m the type of person who gets very overwhelmed, and overstimulated, if I have to go out of the house more than once or twice a week. So far I have survived 11 days straight of having to go somewhere. Thankfully, today I get to stay home, and rest,  but I have an emergency dental appointment tomorrow. My therapist told me that, to be able to survive, and even thrive, the rest of this year, I needed to focus heavily on self-care. Mainly nutrition, hydration, movement, and rest, but definitely other forms of self-care also. 

   That meeting with my therapist was on Wednesday of last week, and I, immediately, started implementing self-care strategies. I made sure that I ate good, nutritious meals, and did my best to stay hydrated. I also decided to put off some items on my to-do list, that didn’t have to be done. Hopefully, this week will be a little less chaotic, but I’m gearing up for more chaos in the coming weeks. We are in full Operation Christmas Child mode at the moment. For those who may not know what Operation Christmas Child is, it is a of Samaritan’s Purse, where people pack shoeboxes full of practical, and fun items, and those shoeboxes are sent to children around the world. Those children also get told the good news of Jesus Christ, and are invited to a 12 week discipleship class. My husband and I are the project leaders, for Operation Christmas Child, at our church, and our church is a drop off location. A drop off location brings in packed shoeboxes, from individuals, and others churches, and sets them on their way to be given to children around the world. Collection week is coming up November 17- 24 and we have so much to do before then. Last year I really struggled through collection week, because I didn’t prioritize self-care. This year, I’m starting self-care early, so I don’t run myself so ragged like last year. 

   Of course after Operation Christmas Child collection week, we have Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. So much is going on that self-care is so important. Other than nutrition, hydration, movement, and rest, I’m also going to be putting some things on the back burner, that aren’t as important. I’m going to focus on staying close to God, and abiding in Him, so that He will carry me through this busy season.     Relationships are also something that needs to be prioritized. Community is so important, especially when we are going through rough times. It’s so important to have others who will love on us, and pray for us. I’m also going to focus on getting my thoughts, and feelings out. When we are overwhelmed, or have overwhelming thoughts, we will find that, if we can get them out, they don’t have as much of a hold on us. So I journal, I blog, and I talk with friends and family. Also, one of the most important aspects of self-care is gratitude. Name 3 things, daily, that you are thankful for. Be as specific as possible. It definitely helps your mindset when you focus more on what you do have, and less on what you don’t have. I hope you all will join me in surviving, and even thriving, this holiday season by implementing self-care. Self-care is so important all year round, but it is especially important during busy, and chaotic seasons in life. Have a great, and thankful day my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment