I had a good Thanksgiving weekend, although I struggled through each day. That’s what you have to deal with when you have chronic Illness. Things that others do, can take so much more out of you. We had a small Thanksgiving, just myself, my husband, and our oldest daughter. We cooked, we ate, and we watched movies. It was still too much for me. Friday, my husband and I went out to celebrate my birthday early. We were out all day, and I struggled. I had fun, and enjoyed myself, but I struggled. At one point I said to my husband that I get to have all the effects of being drunk; the head spinning, off balance, nausea, and also fatigued, but without having actually drunk any alcohol. I also failed to drink enough water, which impacted me as well. Saturday I enjoyed shopping with my oldest daughter, and some friends, but by the time I got home I was ready for my recliner and my heating pad. My husband wanted to watch the Iron Bowl, Roll Tide, so I got that going, but went to bed half way through the first quarter. I just couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. He came to bed, later, very grump. I married an Auburn fan. lol. Yesterday was filled with church, and fighting whatever this sickness is that I have felt coming for a few days. It was so bad that I took a COVID/flu test because I thought I might have one of those. Thankfully, it was negative. Today is my birthday, but I ended up canceling my plans with a friend because I’m feeling so awful, from being sick, and also from going almost nonstop for over a month now. My body has had enough. I made a quick trip to Dollar General for some soup, but otherwise I have stayed in my recliner with my heating pad on. So, why am I saying all of this? To let you know just how hard the holidays are for those who have a chronic illness. If you have a loved one with a chronic illness, don’t get upset with them when they can’t do something, or they cancel plans. They want to do all the things, they just can’t.
I love Christmas, and I usually have the Christmas tree and decorations up around the first of November. The past few years, though, I haven’t had the energy for that. I love making homemade Christmas gifts, but I haven’t been able to do much that either. I love to cook, and bake, and give the stuff I make away. It just hasn’t been happening the past few years, and I need to learn to be ok with that.
The Sunday before Thanksgiving, my pastor did a sermon on anxiety, and the best way to combat anxiety is with thanksgiving. I have learned that, when I start to get down because of everything I can’t do, all I need to do is think of all the things I have to be thankful for, and it instantly perks me up. Thanksgiving can be useful for so many things. Even in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the antidote for the dementors, which symbolize depression(and I would argue anxiety as well), is the Patronus Charm. To perform the Patronus Charm, you must think of a happy memory, the things you have to be thankful for. For Harry those things were his parents, and his friends.
The holidays are hard for so many people, for so many reasons. Let’s remember to show some grace, compassion, and kindness this holiday season. And let’s always remember to be thankful, we have so much to be thankful for. I once heard a saying, “what if tomorrow the only things we had were the things we were thankful for today?” That right there says a lot. I hope you all have an amazing holiday season.

No comments:
Post a Comment