I was talking with my therapist about getting ready for classes for my psychology degree to start and how I may or may not be able to start classes this Summer. She said something like, if I don’t start classes this Summer, I can use this time to prepare, like training for a marathon. I thought, “that’s exactly it! I’m training for a marathon!” Because that’s exactly what pursuing becoming a licensed professional counselor will be like, it will be like a marathon. So I did what I usually do, and I embodied my inner Hermione Granger, “When in doubt go to the library” or in my case Google, and I Googled how to train for a marathon, then I prayed and asked God how to apply that to preparing to start classes and starting classes. Here is what I came up with.
Step one is to follow a plan. I have a basic plan set up and I will tweak it as necessary as I go along. My planner is my lifeline so I’m going to use it to keep me from getting overwhelmed and to keep me on track. Step two is start slow. I have had several people tell me to not take on a full load of classes, especially the first semester. I was going to be stubborn, as usual, and not listen to them. I realized I needed to listen to them so I’m going to start slow. I also figured out a way to take a full load without taking all of the classes at the same time. Step three is to prioritize rest, or in other words BOUNDARIES. I am still struggling with this, but I’m going to do better. I cannot keep running myself until my body makes me rest. Boundaries and rest are biblical and important. Step four is fuel appropriately. Make nutrition and hydration a priority. This is especially important for me because of all the chronic health issues that I have. Step five is getting proper gear. I honestly struggled with this one and how it fit into my situation. Then I realized what the gear is, it’s the Armor of God. When I am properly clothed with the armor of God daily, I can face anything the enemy throws at me.
So now that I realize that I’m in training for a marathon, and I have my steps for my training, I can move forward however and whenever God decides to move me forward. I’m excited and eager for this marathon, and a little impatient, but I know that God’s timing is perfect. God is preparing me and teaching me in the waiting. And that is the beauty in the ashes of it.
“To console those who mourn in Zion. To give them beauty for ashes. The oil of joy for mourning. The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He might be glorified.”
Isaiah 61:3

No comments:
Post a Comment